Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng
University Of The Witwatersrand
The incumbent is responsible to his/her supervisor for the day-to-day safety of staff, students and visitors; as well as the security of University facilities and safekeeping and protection of University property.
Key responsibilities include the following:
Conducting foot and vehicle patrol.
- Inspection of buildings (i.e. for signs of fire/crime/lighting malfunctioning and dangers of any sort
- Locking/unlocking buildings and offices
- Checking whether security alarms are functioning (i.e. activated and de-activated)
- Responding to alarms and emergencies according to the prescribed procedure
- Reporting regularly to supervisor and counterparts
- Escorting staff/students around and between campuses
- Manning static posts (libraries/residence/exit points)
- Performing access control duties as instructed
- Perform access control functions as per prescribed procedure
- Perform any one (or more if necessary) of the ‘specialist’ functions required (e.g. manning the central office or driving)
- Assist visitors by directing them to the correct locations
- Participate in training sessions including parade and other activities
- Perform any other tasks/activities which fall within the general function of the department as determined by the supervisor
- Perform shift work as detailed by the superiors
Grade 12 (Matric) essential
- Post Grade 12 certificate/qualification in related field would be advantageous
- PSIRA certificate (minimum Grade C) essential
- Experience in the Security Guard/Patrol industry essential
- Valid Driver’s Licence essential
- Certificate in first aid / firefighting would be advantageous
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- No criminal record
Only online applications will be accepted
Closing Date: 28 May 2021
How To Apply
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/ ”Apply for a job”
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University.
The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.