The South African Mathematics and Science Teacher Intern Programme (SAMSTIP) is an ISASA initiative that aims to address a root cause of South Africa’s skills shortage: the critical lack of qualified mathematics and science teachers.
SAMSTIP, Investec and the Department of Basic Education are offering prospective Senior and Further Education and Training (FET) teachers specialising in the fields of Mathematics and the Sciences an opportunity to win bursaries to study for a four year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree or a one year Post-graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) at UNISA.
Benefits of the programme:
- Learn from and be mentored by experienced school teachers
- Access to excellent teaching, learning resources and technology
- Training in Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa (ISASA) schools
- Targeted academic enrichment support, and other value-added services
The bursary will cover UNISA fees, textbooks and a transport and accommodation allowance, as well as a small stipend.
Who can apply?
- School-leavers with matric exemption (Bachelor pass) and 60% or more in Mathematics, Sciences (Life Science or Physical Sciences) and English;
- Tertiary students with Mathematics and Sciences (Life Science or Physical Sciences) credits;
- Graduates with Mathematics and/or Science majors.
Click here to load the internship application form for 2020. Applications close on 15 May 2019.